Bed bugs are a serious problem, and infestations can quickly grow out of control. Bed bug prevention is essential before bed bugs become an issue in your home. In cases where there is already an infestation, or signs of bed bugs, you want to ensure the problem is addressed immediately.
- Wash All Bedding: Launder all bedding on the hottest temperature possible to remove eggs and feces. Remember to wash or replace pillows, as bed bugs do get inside pillows.
- Thoroughly Clean the Area: Vacuum carpeting and mattresses and move all furniture and vacuum underneath these areas. Dust night stands, lamps, and other furniture. Remember to get into cracks and crevices, as bed bugs can hide in these areas.
- Use Encasements: Purchase an encasement for your mattress and box spring to keep bed bugs from getting inside. The encasement is sealed so bed bugs are unable to attach themselves to the mattress or box spring.
- Conduct Daily Inspections: After the area has been properly treated, inspect it on a daily basis for signs of bed bug activity. Bed bugs survive for a long period of time without ingesting blood, and they can continue to be a problem if left unchecked.
After the home has been treated, prevention is the next step. Prevention involves using the right types of products to keep bed bugs from getting into bedding. Purchase and install Mattress Safe® bed bug certified mattress protection products and other protective products. These products keep bed bugs from getting into the mattress, box springs, and pillows. Other preventive tips at home include:
- Wash Bedding Frequently: Launder all bedding at least once a week.
- Routine Inspections: Inspect the sleeping areas in the home, especially after guests have visited. Do not overlook inspecting pets’ bedding and sleeping areas, as well as common areas such as couches. Bed bugs also like to hide behind baseboards and in cracks.
- Inspecting Used Furniture: Make sure to check all used furniture, before bringing it into the home, and clean it outdoors before carrying it inside.
When traveling, you also need to protect yourself against bed bugs. Many home infestations were started by someone bringing bed bugs home in their luggage or clothing after staying in a hotel. There are bug-proof mattress and bedding protectors you can purchase and take along with you whenever you are traveling. Upon arrival at the hotel, perform an inspection of the room for signs of bed bugs. If you notice signs of an infestation, request a new room. Even if there are no signs of an infestation, use the protective products to encase your laundry, luggage, hanging clothes, pillows. Encasing soiled clothes and suitcases prevents bed bugs from hitchhiking home with you.
Before leaving the hotel and returning home, shake out all clothing, and inspect all luggage, to make sure no bed begs migrated overnight onto or into your suitcase or onto your hanging garment bag. Inspect he luggage and garment bag encasement thoroughly. When you arrive home, unpack your luggage outdoors or in your garage rather than carrying bags into the home. wash all your unused and soiled clothes before putting away in your closets and drawers just in case a stray bed bug did manage to come home with you.
For more information about bed bug certified protective covers, mattresses, and other preventive bed bug bedding products, contact Mattress Safe® by calling 770-205-5335.
Bed bugs have been a growing problem in recent years as the pests make a comeback. Part of the reason for the increase number of bed bug infestations in hotels, resorts, and homes across America is globalization. More people travel internationally today than they did in the past. As such, problems [...]
Dust mites are microscopic bugs that survive on the dead skin of humans and animals. You cannot see the dust mites without the aid of a microscope because they are so small. They are found virtually everywhere: Homes Apartments Condos Offices Hotels Resorts Automobiles Airplanes Buses Trains In the home, they live in furniture, curtains, carpeting, pillows, and bedding. In commercial environments, they [...]
As the place where we spend so much time, mattresses end up going through a lot of wear and tear. It gets more use than any other piece of furniture, and we abuse it to no end. One thing that especially affects the condition of mattresses is moisture. Mattresses can get wet for several reasons [...]
With bed bugs becoming a major pest problem in homes, hotels and businesses across the country, many people are curious about how quickly bed bugs spread. Bed bugs do not fly since they do not have wings. They are able to crawl and rapidly move short distances within an infected area, and slowly spread to [...]
Most people don’t like to think about having a problem with bed bugs. It makes us itchy. Typically, we think that since we keep our homes clean and neat we don’t have to worry about something as horrible as bed bugs. But the truth is that all people are at risk for getting a bed [...]
When you are expecting a baby, there are a lot of things that need to be done to make your home a safe and protective place. While a woman is pregnant, it is easy to keep the baby safe and protected. But after the baby is born, there are many things that have to be [...]
In recent years, people are not as careful as they once were when dealing with bed begs. Bed bugs are quickly becoming a headache for hotel and resort owners, tourists, and locals in Las Vegas. These little pests have recently made a resurgent rebound in this popular tourist destination, largely due to arriving in town [...]
Over 201 Things to Know About Bed Bugs The original "101 article" was published many months ago and was originally presented as written in no specific order during the writing process. The original list was compiled in response to the numerous questions that had been received in conversations, at meetings, via telephone and e-mail queries. As [...]
Unfortunately, the incidence of bed bugs is occurring at an increasing rate within the United States. Business travelers, vacationers and multi-family dwelling residents are at risk to encountering bed bugs and the bed bug threat has spread to include common locations that people might not normally suspect. Industry experts report that bed bugs may be [...]